This is my husband’s personal favorite and I baked it for the very first time to surprise him on his birthday . I should thank my friend for sharing this recipe with me and it turned out to be a delicious surprise and a decadent delight indeed.
- 2cups All purpose flour
- 2cups sugar
- 3/4cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1cup milk
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 2cans cherries
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3cup confectioner’s sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 9″ pans .
1/2 cup canned cherries+ 1/2 cup sugar+ 1tsp vanilla extract. Simmer, let it cool completely.
- Combine whipping cream and confectioners’ sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk well until you get a fluffy texture
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups for decorating
Baking the Cake:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2cups sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and 1tbsp vanilla extract. Whisk until everything blends well
- Pour into prepared pans.Smear the pans with butter and coated with flour making sure it sticks to all the coated butter (this makes sure cake doesn’t stick to the mould and comes off easily with smooth edges once it’s baked).
- Bake for 35 -40 minutes at 350F. Cool completely.
Prepping the cake:
Split each cake into half horizontally.Tear one split layer into crumbs, set aside.
Stack the cakes in tiers and drizzle the cherries, cherry sauce and frosting on each layer.
Frost the side of the cake and sprinkle/pat the reserved crumbs on the frosting on the side.
Spoon the reserved frosting into a piping bag and pipe the cake bottom and edges .Use up any remaining cherry topping in the center of the cake.
Chill it until you serve ….Happy Baking!!!!:-)