This recipe is quite close to the Tandoori chicken drumsticks, but I tweaked it to make it slightly tangy and roasted the chicken instead of grilling it Tandoori style.
- Chicken Drumsticks(thighs) -skinless-2lbs
- Yogurt cup
- Turmeric tsp
- Salt -2tsps
- Red chilli powder 2tsps
- Fresh Lime juice -3 tablespoons
- Coriander Powder-2tsps
- Garam Masala-Indian spice mix-1 tsp.Don’t fret if you don’t have this, you can make it at home too.
All you need for the garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix all the above powders and store the mixture in an air tight container to preserve the aroma and flavors
- Ginger –garlic paste -1 tablespoon-grind equal parts of fresh ginger and garlic into a smooth paste
- Food color-red (optional)the one you get in Asian /Indian markets
- 1-Onion –thinly sliced
- 5 small limes –cut into wedges
- Take a big mixing bowl and whisk together all the above ingredients except the chicken pieces, onions and lime
- Glaze the onions by soaking them in a bowl of lime juice and add a tsp of salt ,coat the onions with this liquid and leave them for an hour
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well till the drumsticks are evenly coated with the marinade.Squeeze some lime juice on top and seal the bowl with a cling wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least three to four hours, overnight is best. The longer it’s marinated; the better is the taste with all the flavors infused into the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 450F and spread the pieces on a layer of foil on a wide baking pan and spray oil liberally,let the chicken cook for 40-50 minutes, flipping the pieces half way through ,checking if the pieces are evenly roasted and the marinade is soaked up
- Once done, remove the chicken and brush it with olive oil or use a spray and arrange the glazed onions on top of the chicken and garnish with lime wedges. Fresh cilantro can also be used as a garnish.Serve it warm and it tastes really tangy and savory when you try it with the glazed onions-enjoy!