Kulfi is one of my favorite summer desserts.It can be described as Indian-style ice cream,however I prefer the creamy,chewy texture of kulfi to that of ice cream.Pistachio,saffron,milk cream or malai,mango .etc are the most common kulfi flavors you can find.The one I’m sharing with you is pistachio kulfi.I flavored my recipe with cardamom for the aroma and pistachios to give it that crunchy nutty flavor to complement the smooth velvety flavor of kulfi.There are many versions of kulfi recipe on the web.But this is the one I used after slight modifications and the result was amazing.Before freezing, pour the milk mixture into a Popsicle mold to make a Popsicle kids will love this yummy dessert
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 3-4 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios thinly sliced
I opted out of the the traditional way of making the thick heavy cream by reducing milk on low flame since I didn’t want to slog in the kitchen for eternity trying to get teh right consistency,instead I used condensed milk for the same and it sure gives it a delicious creamy texture.
- Stir the milk, condensed milk, and dry milk powder together in a heavy-bottomed pan . Add sugar, cardamom, and saffron and bring to a boil
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring frequently,every few minutes until the mixture thickens.At this point,grind a portion of pistachios into a coarse paste and fold it into the milk mixture
- Remove from heat and let it cool down
- You can either pour the mixture into Popsicle molds and freeze until it solidifies, a couple of hours .I didn’t have any moulds ,so I used disposable foam cups and then covered them with aluminium foil before keeping them in the freezer
- To serve, thaw them and then invert them into dessert bowls and slightly tap the top and the edges , kulfi will come out smoothly.Garnish it with with any remaining pistachios and serve cold.