Last week I made some vegetable cutlets for potluck at a friend’s place and I’m happy to say they turned out great since it was my first time .These are like veggie patties- a mixture of vegetables,flour and spices. They make great appetizers when served with good dipping sauces like mint chutney or ketchup,and you can also make great veggie burgers by adding cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, chutney or ketchup.as toppings
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and boiled
- 1 cup chopped mixed vegetables (green peas, carrots, green beans, corn) you can use frozen too-boil them in the microwave for few minutes until they become soft
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (green coriander)
- 2 finely chopped green chilies or 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder /Amchur(Indian version)
- 3 tablespoon All Purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs /panco
- Oil to fry
- Peel and boil the potatoes until they are tender.Once cooked, drain the water and let the potatoes cool down and mash them
- Steam the chopped mixed vegetables.Make sure to squeeze the vegetables to take the excess water out and Pat dry.
- Mix all the ingredients together; adjust salt, pepper,mango powder,chilli powder to your taste.
- Add half a cup of water to the all Purpose flour and whisk it into a smooth batter .
- Now divide the above vegetable mixture into small portions as shown shaping into flat round patties taking care not to make them too thin.
- You can also use cookie cutters to get desired shapes.I haven’t tried it but I want to try it out
- Dip each patty in the flour batter, and roll the patty in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Heat the oil on medium high heat in a frying pan.
- Fry a few cutlets at a time until they are golden-brown on both sides and finish up the rest in batches.
- Place them on a clean paper napkin ,so that the napkin absorbs the excess oil and serve warm with ketchup or any other sauce of your choice.
- Next time I want to bake the patties and not deep fry for a healthy choice.